2024 Tournament Rules – Single-Elim Format
USSSA umpires and rulebook will govern all play with exception to rules noted below.
· NOTE: In all Fall events (events in Sept/Oct/Nov) regardless of location, we will use the 65/70/75 time structure This is 65 minute pool games, 70 minute bracket games, and 75 minute finals.
Pool games will be scheduled for 70 minutes – complete the inning. Bracket games will be scheduled for 75 minutes – complete the inning. ITB will be used in bracket play only if tied ay the end of 75 minutes or 7 innings. The championship games will have a 90-minute or 7 innings (1 hr-30 mins) time limit. Teams must be prepared to play up to 15 minutes prior to the scheduled game time. Fall exception is we only play 65 minutes in pool play and 70 in bracket play in single-elim events.
· Bats must display the 2012 USSSA logo or new 2021 logo or be subject to a penalty for use of the non-approved bat. Penalty for using a non-approved bat is immediate ejection of the offending player and coach. This means stepping into the batter’s box with an unapproved bat.
· Teams have the option to use 2 AP (Additional Players) along with the DP/Flex rule for a 12-person line up. Roster batting can also be used for both Pool and Bracket play, but short-handed rules will apply.
· A courtesy runner is permitted for the pitcher and/or catcher. If a substitute is available, they are eligible to be a courtesy runner. If no subs due to roster batting or injury situation, then the last completed at bat (LCAB) can run for either. This is one time per inning for either the pitcher and/or catcher but not the same runner for both.
· JEWELRY RULE – Modified to allow stud earrings, while continuing to prohibit dangling hoops, necklaces, bracelets, rings, etc. judged by the umpire to be dangerous. Also requires batters to wear play indicators (wristbands) as they were designed to be worn (on the wrist, not the belt).
· Metal cleats are permitted in age groups 13u & up.
· USSSA mercy rule will be in effect. 12 after 3 innings, 10 after 4 innings and 8 after 5 innings.
· NOTE: Ohio USSSA Class C program in 10u/12u/14u will use a 5 run scored per inning cap in Pool Play only. Bracket play is unlimited runs scored. This is for divisions that are designated as class C only. B/C divisions will play regular rules.
· Coin flip will determine choice of home or away during pool play. In bracket play, the higher seed will have choice of home or away in each game. If 2 teams of the same seeding play, then there will be a coin flip.
· If a team does not show for their scheduled game, the game will be recorded as a 7-0 win in the bracket for their opponent and the game will count toward the guarantee.
· Coaches, please verify the final score with the game umpires before they leave the field of play.
· There will be no protests allowed on judgment calls (balls/strikes, fair/foul, safe/out). For any protest involving rule interpretation, the fee is $100 cash. If the protest is upheld, then the $100 will be returned. If the protest is found to be not valid, then the fee is forfeited. A rule interpretation protest must be made before the next pitch is thrown. Protest is not valid until the fee is paid to the home plate official and rule being protested is made known.
· Protest fees on player eligibility or roster issues are $100 per-player-protested cash. Must be protested before the game finishes or the game stands. Can protest after the game, but it doesn’t change the game that just completed.
· In the advent of bad weather, every effort will be made to get the games in. We will reduce game times or drop pool games, if necessary, but our priority is to play the games. If there is a weather situation, please verify with a tournament official what the procedure will be to start the games back up. We will use the USSSA online system to send out e-mails and texts to report on rain delays prior to the event. We also use Rain Out Line. Click here for info on how to download the app: Rain Out Line. During the event, weather will be handled by tournament staff onsite.
Mike Craig – Ohio USSSA
CLICK HERE for a direct link to the USSSA Fastpitch Rule Book